Direct and convenient connection Milan-Rimini: buses from Milan to Rimini
Make your online reservation, travel by bus has never been so easy! Discover bus stops of the national line Milan – Rimini. Compare prices, timetables and plan your trip on online ticketing system LinkAvel.
Riviera Romagnola is waiting for you!
Rimini: one of the most important cities of Roman Empire
Founded in 268 BC, it was called Ariminum as its river Marecchia (Ariminus).
Rimini was a municipium and soon after became a city if Roman Empire. The city has a wide forum, matching now with Tre Martiri square and two main streets that cross it, the cardo maximus (via Garibaldi and Via IV Novembre) and the decumanus maximus (Corso d’Augusto), which starts with the Arch of Augustus and ends with the Tiberius Bridge. Among the historical records of the Roman period we notice the Amphitheater, the Tiberius Bridge and the Arch of Augustus. Furthermore, it was found the Surgeon’s House, the only medical clinic in the world of ancient Rome, miraculously preserved intact till nowadays.
The Triumphal Arch of Augustus in Rimini was dedicated to Emperor Augustus by the Roman Senate in 27 BC. It is the oldest Roman standing Arch. It marked the end of the Via Flaminia and connected the city to the capital of Romagna, flowing into the modern Corso d’ Augustus. The style of the arch is restrained, elegant and solemn at the same time. The central arch is flanked by two semi-fluted Corinthian capitals and drums. Facing Roma, we find the statues of Jupiter and Apollo; facing the city the statues of Neptune and the goddess Roma.
Tempio Malatestiano: the artwork of the architect Leon Battista Alberti
The construction of Tempio Malatestiano begun in 1447 after the Alberti’s project, which transformed the former church of San Francesco in the temple-mausoleum for the lord of the city Sigismondo Malatesta. Is a clear referral to a classic typology: the great arch of the façade, the arches on the sides similar to aqueducts with sarcophagi inserted in each of them and the highly plastic volumes are typical features of the new spatial concept of humanism.
The work, made easier by the variety of marbles that Sigismund stole to S.Appollinare in Classe and in the city of Fano, where he had fought, began under the guidance of Matteo de ‘Pasti and D’Agostino di Duccio. In 1450 Sigismund wanted a radically transforming ofthe entire temple, planning, according to the advice of Leon Battista Alberti, to throw around the humble Church of San Francesco a marble casing. Unfortunately, the work remained incomplete and it is different as the architect dreamed: the facade at the top, the asp, the dome, and some chapels have been finished. The facade of the temple was inspired from the Arch of Augustus, and bears a Latin inscription on the frieze: “Sigimundus Pandulfus Malatesta Pan F, V. Fecit Year Gratiae MCCCCL”.
The temple is located in the city center, near the ancient Roman forum, the current Tre Martiri square.